453 Posts in 222 Topics by 67 members

Velocities

Forum » Velocities » Forward and inverse depth conversion and Vrms to Vint

If this is your first visit, you will need to register before you can post. However, you can browse all messages below.

Moderators: Andy Juniper , Guy Maslen , Keleigh Jones

Page: 1 Go to End
Author Topic: Forward and inverse depth conversion and Vrms to Vint 3091 Views

Forward and inverse depth conversion and Vrms to Vint Link to this post

Hi,
I have come across a problem that I thought other people might be interested in. Sometimes it may be necessary to import a velocity model from e.g. wide-angle inversion to use for migration. Of course a wide angle velocity model would be provided as Vint/depth, but some modules, e.g. KPRET2D require Vrms/TWT. Although in Claritas it is easy to go from TWT to depth and Vrms to Vint, there seem to be no tools to do the opposite. Or are there?

I have written a short matlab script that can do this for GMT grids. It is attached to the post. I'd be happy if other people looked at it to see if I made any mistakes. It is very basic at the moment, but it does the job. Are there any plans to include something like this in isovels?

Thanks

Michele

Re: Forward and inverse depth conversion and Vrms to Vint Link to this post

Michele,

In terms of Depth to Time conversions the Claritas TDCONV1 module will do an inverse Depth to time conversion, obviously your velocity field would need to be supplied as a SEGY or CSEGY dataset.

For the INT to RMS conversion you will need to use the RMSINT applictation which has a -i switch to force the inverse conversion from Interval to RMS.

Hopefully this will be useful.

Regards

Andy Juniper

Go to Top